Share: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Don’t let the long ingredient list fool you. This is a really quick and easy to prepare meal. It is a favorite week night meal. I use store bought ravioli, but you can of course use home made.
The salad comes from my Aunt Phyllis. She firmly believes that a salad needs only be dressed with some fresh lemon juice and some good olive oil. I agree wholeheartedly! If you like heat, make sure you get some nice Italian hot peppers marinated in oil. Otherwise, you can leave those out.
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 cups of canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 or 2 marinated hot peppers
- 4 sundried tomatos
- 6 large basil leaves
- 6 large romain leaves
- 3 oz. pancetta
- 1/4 small onion
- 12 oz. package of raviolli
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dash of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- parmigiano cheese to taste
1. Prepare the veggies. Preheat a large pot of salted water to high. Preheat a large frying pan to medium. Cut a lemon into quarters. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Finely chop the basil. Rough chop the peppers and sun dried tomatoes. Wash and rough chop the lettuce. Thinly slice the onion and squeeze one of the lemon wedges over the slices. You may need to slice the pancetta into cubes, however your grocery store may sell it all cubed up.
2. Make the sauce. Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and fry the pancetta until cripsy. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute or so. Add the crushed tomatoes, and reduce heat to low. Let the sauce simmer until it's time to plate.
3. Make the dressing. While the sauce is cooking, whip up the dressing. Mix the remaining tablespoon of olive oil with a squeeze of one lemon wedge. Stir well and season with a little salt and pepper.
4. Cook the raviolli. Once the water is boiling, add in your raviolis. They should only need about 3 minutes to cook through. Remove from heat and strain off water.
5. Plate it. Divide the lettuce between 2 bowls. Top with the onions, red peppers, and sun dried tomatoes. Drizzle some dressing over each bowl. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the fresh basil. Add the raviolis to the pan and toss to coat. Divide the raviolis between 2 plates and top with any excess sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Serve and enjoy!