Share: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
I learned this recipe from a Blue Apron delivery. Megan and I immediately fell in love with the parsnip salad, and the simple barbecue sauce.
I’ve left the salad pretty much as is on the BA recipe, but I’ve adapted the sloppy joe a bit. Instead of the standard soft roll, I like to prepare mine like a quesadilla. Less mess!
- 8 large Romain lettuce leafs
- 4 10 inch flour tortillas
- 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 parsnip
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of Worchester sauce
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- Salt & Pepper
1. Prepare the ingredients. Preheat a large frying pan to medium. Wash the lettuce, pepper and parsnip. Pat the lettuce dry and chop into bit sized strips. Peel and julienne the parsnips. Quarter the lemon. Mince the garlic. Cube the pepper and onion.
2. Sautee the chicken. Add some cooking oil to the frying pan. Sautee the onions, green peppers, and most of the garlic (save a pinch for the dressing) for about 3 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper. Add a little more oil and the ground chicken. Break the chicken up with a spatula. Cook chicken for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the chicken is cooked through.
3. Make the dressing. While the chicken is cooking, in a small bowl combine the olive oil, the juice of 2 lemon wedges, the remaining garlic, and a dash of salt and pepper. Stir well.
4. Add the sauce to the chicken. When the chicken is cooked though, add the ketchup, Worchester sauce, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup of water. Continue to cook until the sauce thickens, and is a little sticky. (About 3 minutes.) Stir in the juice of the remaining lemon wedges, and salt and pepper to taste. Scoop the mixture onto a plate and set aside. Wipe out the pan, and return to the heat. Preheat a second pan to medium.
5. Dress the salads. In medium sized bowl, toss the dressing with the lettuce and parsnips.
6. Make the quesadillas. On each of the frying pans, lay one tortilla. Scoop half the chicken mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle each with half the cheese, and top each with the final tortillas. Cook for about 3 minutes per side until the tortillas are crisp.
7. Plate. Divide the salad between three plates. Cut each quesadilla like a pizza into 6 equal slices. Place four slices on each plate. Serve and enjoy.